1.8t GTI 250hp project HELP
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.8t GTI 250hp project HELP

New Member Maxs20thAnnGti is a jewel in the rough Maxs20thAnnGti's Avatar
    Thanks

1.8t GTI 250hp project HELP

Hey everyone who decided they wanted to read this and possibly help me out!
    I own a 2003 1.8t VW GTI 20th Anniversary edition (6 speed) and I am starting to come into some money, but that doesn't mean Im rollin' in it. With that being said, I am on the road to 250 whp or more and will most likely have to go 1 part at a time, but that's no problem. I have though of the obvious, like a Uni Stage 2 flash, 3" turboback by 42 Draft, CTS tubro FMIC, and I already have a CAI and a BOV. The first thing I'm going to buy is the exhaust because my current, stock, exhaust has rusted through. After that, I would like to start this project by building the bottom end first, then moving onto the head. This is where everything gets hazy. I believe I will use forged IE rods, but I'm unsure if it is necessary to use forged pistons (what do you think?) and I would obviously use upgraded head bolts along with an upgraded Timing Belt Drive Gear. From there, I want to rebuild the head. And THIS is where I need YOUR help. I am not the most educated over every component in the head, so any info would help a lot! Also, if anyone has any recommendations as to how I should go about rebuilding it.
    I know this is a lot, and I know there are probably tons of threads over this, but oh well. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 1.8t GTI 250hp project HELP

You can keep it stock, get a tune and get 250 BHP, that's not unreasonable. A manual
    transmission has about a 15% parasitic loss in HP, so you need around 286 BHP. Auto trans
    is worse, unless it's a DSG, and they need a tune as well to handle the higher HP.
    You have a 6-speed manual, you'll also want a single mass flywheel. The DMF will also
    absorb some of that HP initially, if yours had a DMF, a 2003, probably not, but you will
    need a clutch upgrade.

You're pushing 180BHP (roughly 168 to the wheels) now, another 70 BHP isn't out of line with a tune,
    but 250 WHP you will need more. You should not need to touch the motor internals, and
    probably not even the head. A good tune, some intake and exhaust mods, you should
    almost reach your goal without spending a ton of money, but if you want to, go ahead.
    I would toss in a lower mileage 2.0 if it would fit, with the tune, and you're well on your
    way. The 2.0s are 200 BPH, all you need is another ~70 for 250 WHP. I think the 1.8 and
    2.0 are the same block, different bore. You will need a larger turbo for more aggressive
    goals.

You also have to consider mileage, if the 1.8 engine will handle another 100HP.

When you start messing with the exhaust, you change the torque curve. You may
    want to port match and polish the exhaust side of the head. You can port match the
    intake side, but do not polish.

Lots of things to consider, I have a 2.0 TDI, 140 BHP, whoopie, but 236 ft-lbs of torque, I
    surprise a lot of people, and I can beat a 3.5 V6 Charger. I can take the 3.6 off the line,
    but not for long... Too bad they don't have some kind of VVT for a diesel engine...

ME: Using a malone tune, with the llarger CR170 turbo, tune, ~193whp (218bhp) 315lb-ft (356lb-ft crank),
    and have to move the the EGT #1 connector to EGT #2 sensor. The tune is $699, on top of the
    CR170 turbo and DSG tune. Even with 193 Whp, I can beat your updated 1.8T off the line, and
    in a 0-60 because of the torque, but in a long stretch, the HP will win out over the torque. My
    torque will peak sooner than yours, way sooner. Heck, I am happy with 140HP and 235 torque,
    it still surprises a lot of people...

New Member Maxs20thAnnGti is a jewel in the rough Maxs20thAnnGti's Avatar
    Thanks
    Would this kit work well?
    http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine...FUW4wAodFMsKLw

And say I do go this route (using this kit) what should my next step be?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 1.8t GTI 250hp project HELP

That will make it the 2.0, which should bring you to ~200bhp, then the tune & larger
    turbo for a stage 3-4 tune should get you very close to your goal.

+ Reply to Thread