Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
71K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  eugenefl 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, Finally had a chance to upload the pics and write a DIY. Here we go. First remove the pillar covers. These are the easiest. First use a knife and carefully pop out the "airbag" signs along the pillars.
Start with the front pillars. Remove the screw and then pull away from the pillar and up away from the dash. When pulling it away from the pillar, it will take alittle force to pop the clips outa the holes.
Next to take out the middle covers, you need to first remove the seat belt. This is easier than it looks once you figure it out. And I have done that for you, so here ya go.
This is the bar that the seat belt is attached to. Lift the plastic molding piece at the bottom of the door that you see in the pic. Then pull the carpet back a little.... You will see a bolt holding the bar.

Now remove the bolt and gently lift the bar away from the floor and slide the seat belt off.
Now remove the middle pillar covers by pulling from the front edge and pry it over the pillar and then pull it upwards. These come off pretty east and were by far the easiest pieces to remove and put back.
Next remove the piece of trim that is in the back above the hatch. Just pry down and it will snap off.

Next remove the rear side trims. These come off pretty easy once you remove the screw from under the "airbag" clip.
Now.... it's time for the headliner. Here we go. I was soooo frustrated with this one.
First remove all the handles, which are attached with two screws each.

Now remove the visors.
This is the holder clip and you just unscrew it and pop it off

Now remove the middle console with the lights.
First take out the middle tab like this... pry it away starting from the front and pop it off.

Now remove the sunglass holder... this just pops out.

Now pop out out the front clip with the lights. And then pop the wire plug apart. It should now be free.
Now remove the screws. There are 4 in the front. Two you see here.... then two more up inside that you will easily find.

Now remove the two screws where the sunglass holder was.

Now unclip the black wire plug apart.

Next pill the trim down. and let the real fun begin. This is where it took me an hour to figure this out and I was soooo frustrated!

I can't show pics of this because of how you need to do this.... but you now need to unhook the wire plugs for the sun visor. First remove the sun visor by unscrewing it the same as the other piece where it clips in.
Now reach through the middle and over to where the wire is and follow it up from the bottom until you find where the wire clip is and pull it apart. Repeat on the other side.
Now you are ready to remove the headliner.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Now Here's what I used. 3M trim adhesive Medium grade. Don't use heavy grade if you're just doing cloth to cloth like I am.... it will stain it and doesn't work as well cloth to cloth.
I'll show pics of what I did along the way... if you would like details on how I did the cloth attachment or if you are going to tackle this yourself, PM me and I'll be MORE than happy to answer ANY questions and will be more than happy to offer my # so you can call if you run into trouble while installing or removing or attaching the new trim or cloth.

Again, If you are gonna attempt this and have any questions, feel more than free to ask, I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can.

#6 ·
Thanks, It was very inexpensive. Fabric was like $50 and the Adhesive was like $14 a can, and it took 4 cans so $56 there. Not a bad mod for $100.
Well plus you gotta buy new "airbag" caps because you can't reuse the old ones once they are removed.... PLUS new torx head screws from the dealer since I lost 3 of them. but for 8 and 8 it was only like $12.

#10 ·
"it's spaceballs 1...they've gone to plaid! hehe..lol.. It looks good. Im too scared to do that to mine...i'll prob. be driving one day and get hypnotized by the plaid and perhaps even see a schooner in the door covers like a magic eye poster. pretty bad ass though.:D:

#11 ·
AWESOME!!!!!!!! nice job dude... glad to finally see this complete and successful! I'm still looking for the right plaid color and i'll be doing my trims. I think I'll do the headliner and pillars black though. Did you take our your rear seat? Once again good job!

#15 ·
man, that looks sick. really well done, id be afraid to do it because i would probably misalign the lines of the plaid and it would be the most crooked thing in the world haha. i was thinking about doing that but just with all black instead of the plaid. now that there are instructions i think its comin up soon in the spring.
nice job!

#19 ·
omg thank you so much for posting this. i already have a wicked cool fabric picked out that im doing mine in :)

#22 ·
Thanks!

Quick question, how much fabric did it take? (in yards please :D)
OK... it's complicated, but I'll try to explain as best I can, lol....

Pillars:
You can use one square yard for each pair... just cut it in half and use one for each. So 3 square yards.

Headliner:
3 square yards. BUT you are going to be about 2 or 3 inches short from side to side... and from the front about 1/2 way back (the front of the headliner is slightly wider than the rear). SO, I would reccomend doing the headliner first. And for the extra strip, trimming away from the 3 yards needed for the pillars.
And depending on how stretchy the material is... you may need extra yard for the front pillars, because if the material is stiffer, their weird contour would force you to do it in two pieces. So that MIGHT require an extra yard. I literally sat at my kitchen table staring at that pillar cover and playing with the material on it for 2 nights... and the only thing that would work would be doing it in two pieces.... But I had stiff material. That being said, I was careful with it and careful to not let the glue bleed accross the seam, and you can't even tell unless you look for it.
Where are you located? If you're attempting this and want some help, I might be able to swing by.

#25 ·
Since I've done it, I've talked to several local guys that used the same adhesive on fabric for headliners and haven't had any issues after a few years.
I have thought of re-doing it in a black suede. But I like how much the blue plaid stands out. lol, I'll be walking through a parking lot and come upon my car and be like "whoah," still.

#30 ·
I just did my headliner on Saturday and the back is sagging....anyone have any advice to fixing it...?
probably gonna have to take it back out and re-do it. Peel the material up and apply the glue. probably gonna have to get a new piece of material.
What glue did you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.