Trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel?
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel?

Junior Member FancyRamen is a jewel in the rough FancyRamen's Avatar
    Thanks

Trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel?

I have about 35 gallons of tractor trans/hydraulic fluid and was wondering if anyone had any experience using this in making black diesel fuel.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel?

It's called black diesel because it's primarily made from waste motor oil, but
    it will also work with automatic transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, and even gear oil.

There is a three step process to converting it into black diesel.

I know it's tough to use Yahoo or Google to look things up: http://www.ehow.com/how_4600273_make...esel-fuel.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2013Tdi View Post
    It's called black diesel because it's primarily made from waste motor oil, but
    it will also work with automatic transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, and even gear oil.

There is a three step process to converting it into black diesel.

I know it's tough to use Yahoo or Google to look things up: http://www.ehow.com/how_4600273_make...esel-fuel.html
    Wow. I didn't expect to be criticized for asking if anyone specifically used trans/hydraulic fluid for their black diesel, but thanks nonetheless. I'm fully aware that you can use multiple forms of oil in black diesel. What I was looking for was experiences that folks had with using this particular oil in their black diesel production.

2013TDi, do you have any experiences you can share?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

No, as I would never do that. Depending upon the year of the motor/car, it's not
    ideal for the fuel system, or the engine. Doing this kind of thing creates a tacky fuel
    that more than likely, needs pre-heated in certain temps.

Not all cars will even be able to use it, especially1994 and newer General Motors 6.5 liter diesels.
    There is an optical sensor in the injection pump that needs to "see" through the fuel. Not sure if
    any other car makers are doing that, they don't want you doing it.

Use of motor oil based fuel like this is not approved by the EPA.

In the USA, Using Black diesel as a fuel on a public roadway would be a violation
    of law because road taxes have not been paid. Do so at your own risk. Is perfecttly
    legal for off-road use, farming equipment, generators, and so on, NOT for commuting
    on the road.

Is should never be used on cars with Particulate Filters.

It provides more power and better mileage than pump diesel because it has more energy
    than diesel. It lubricates your engine much better than the new Ultra Low Sulfur diesel
    and will solve the problems many are having with the new diesel as well as increase your
    engine life. But best of all Black Diesel is much easier to make than biodiesel and based
    on today's fuel costs only costs about $1 per gallon to make, after the up front costs of the
    equipment to make it, though illegal to use in the USA.

You can go back and forth from black diesel to diesel any time.

There is someone who even makes a portable system to make it,
    runs on 12V, so you can make it on the road...

What criticism? I just said what can be use to make it, and to use your PC to search
    yahoo or google, it's all over the internet. Did you already know how to make it?
    I know you asked for anyone with experience use it, but you should know how to
    make it, and what it's all about, and legalities before even considering it.

You have 35 gallons, and if that's all you are ever going to have access too, then
    there is no point. If you can get a continual supply of used oil, then by all means.

Oil is oil for the most part, the SMELL is added so you know where it came from, is all.
    Gear oil is much thicker, has some additives, but it's still oil. Trans fluid oil is also
    oil with additives, and perfumed as well, so if you're leaking, you know where it's
    from. Because a car uses so many different kinds of oils, they had to add the
    smells to them so you know what it's leaking out of. However, it's still oil.

Also, you should not use synthetic oils as your base for black diesel.

Thanks

Experiences. Not Google.com researched "knowledge" is what I was looking for. Since in the two responses I have nothing that indicates that you have any personal experience with trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel, I'm going to ignore any further comments from you 2013Tdi.

Thanks

Good, 'cause more than likely, you won't be doing it anyway... You didn't even specify
    what year make and model VW you have, because if it's 2009 or up, you CAN'T use it,
    so experience won't matter. If it's fuel injected, you may need different injectors...
    There is SO MUCH MORE to it than just experience. But, you go ahead and wait
    for someone to tell you:

One person may report lots of carbon, another may report excessive ash, while another person may have very clean burning.

Synthetics have sophisticated additives meant to resist combustion or degradation from heat. For this reason they make very poor fuels,
    and you will go through more fuel filters.

Depending on the hydraulic oil it may be svo already.

I even did a SEARCH on yahoo and google for "experiences with black diesel", and well,
    what do you know:

WMO is a great way to trash your engine and pollute the environment, it will work... for a while.

It's like feeding manure to cows. Yeah, they'll eat it, but is it really a good idea?

It's amazing what some folks will do to save a buck.
    My recommendation would be to use no more than 50% black diesel to pump diesel on an older IDI diesel,
    and up to 10% on a newer IDI. There is no hard data to reference, so experimentation is necessary. I would refrain
    from feeding a modern, DI motor any WMO. Modern engines will be less tolerant to changes of viscosities, latent
    heat strengths and burn characteristics. Each motor and driving style will contribute to oil coking in the combustion
    chambers. A motor used for short trip driving will have a higher incidence for coking, and should be taken into
    account when deciding the porportioning of WMO to pump fuel.
    Although waste engine/trans oil can be re-refined and cracked to produce excellent diesel fuel,
    this is a complex industrial process and requires a large scale and very expensive installation. However,
    it is possible to produce "black diesel" as a substitute fuel for diesel engines, by deacidifying selected
    used engine/trans oils and blending with a proportion of kerosene to adjust the viscosity to 35 seconds
    Redwood No 1, then force filtering down BELOW 5 microns, to remove abrasive particles which would
    ruin any injection equipment. Such "fuel" is better confined to older, less sophisticated engines in which
    it will work ok if you are very careful with the processing, but I certainly would NOT recommend using it
    in your new BMW!!. Actually, kits for the process used to be available for use in some African countries.
    You should check that your car is compatible with black diesel before you add it to the tank.
    You may also have to turn on the engine and let the car idle before the diesel can be used for long journeys.
    With all the nasty detergents used that are still present in oils even if the oil is filtered the detergents
    are still there, Not to mention microscopic carbon atoms bonded with the molecules of the oil. Being a mechanic
    and being very fimiar with a diesel engine id say this isint a good idea to try on newer trucks volkswagens or
    any modern diesel at all.
    If you were making bio diesel that was clean and had a obtainable and consistant purity rate id say go ahead and run it. Id advise against this in any engine.

Thanks

Anyone else have any experience with using trans/hydraulic fluid in black diesel?

Thanks

Started filtering last night. I'm going with a water block filter and a 1 micron filter and once I have the oil all filtered, I'm going to heat it to get rid of any of the emulsified water that may have gotten through. After that process, I plan to pump the oil that should be clean at that point into my other barrel that will hold my diesel. I'm planning on doing a 50/50 mix and test that out. I figure I can always add more diesel to change the ratio of my truck doesn't like it.

+ Reply to Thread