Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2013Tdi 
#1 ·
I'm a GTI newbie. Just bought 2010 GTI 2.0T. Did Diy oil change. Just crossed 40,000 miles. When I stop at red light, idle drops low (700) and then comes back up again. I've only had the car for 6 weeks but it wasn't doing that when I first bought it. Maybe it needs a 40,000 mile check up? There's no reason for the oil change to affect idle. Anybody else have idle problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
700 is not "low" my 2013 TDI idles at about 800.

I have a DSG, mine will go down to about 700 coming to a stop, but only
for a second, then settle at about 800. I don't consider that a problem,
is has always done that..

I don't see how the oil change would effect idle either, but these cars are
temperamental... The only way I could see that happening would be if you
went to 5W40 when it had 5W30.

Fresh oil higher viscosity, who knows. But if it only dips to 700 for a second,
then there is no real problem.

On the flip side, since I have a TDI, mine will idle higher during a regen, at about 950.

#4 ·
I would get it in and have the timing chain tensioner checked. Mine started idling rough surging, sputtering but ran out just fine. No loss of power it was just an idle issue and check engine light came on. My first thought, bad gas.
My tensioner was failing and chain jumped 2 teeth.
I was lucky and got it in before everything came apart.
It would be worth having it checked out, the chain and tensioner is an expensive repair but not near as expensive as the chain failing.
Hope yours is an easy, inexpensive repair mine was $2490 however, it could have been 5k plus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.