Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking for a little advice. My 2006 Rabbitt 2.5 is due for its scheduled 30K mile service. Its bascially an oil change and tire rotation. The local dealer wants $140 for the service. Worth it? or should I Jiffy Lube it and have them use the syntetic oil.

One small factor is that the out light indicator is on. I must have a tail light out somewhere, but I can't see it. Not sure if Jiffy Lube or a local shop will be able to fix that.

Thanks

#2 ·
if you're doing ONLY an oil change and tire rotation, consider doing the work yourself. it's not terribly difficult and can be done in your driveway.

approved oil and new filter runs about $56 on average if you buy it yourself at a local auto zone.

not sure how much tire rotation costs, but if it was more than about $20, i'd do it myself or find another shop.

that's $76, before labor and taxes. add about another 25% or so for that and you're in the neighborhood of what you probably should pay for that service. my fuzzy math indicates about $95 for service.

DON'T take the car to a local "quick lube" place. they will almost certainly use oil that is NOT volkswagen approved. the 2 readily available brands in the U.S. are: mobil1 0w40 and castrol syntec 5w40. i'll wager that jiffy lube has never heard of these oils...

#4 ·
an ex co worker of mine was a car guy and helped me out with the tire rotation and oil change at 10k service. one question i have. what do you do with the old oil? he used to work at jiffy lube so he said it just takes the old oil there in the middle of the night and they have to take it. kinda messed up i know and i dont wanna do that. =X

#6 ·
i take mine to auto zone. they have an oil recycle tank. usually, they limit trips to 5 gallons or less, but when i do my spring cleaning i send over the wifey in some short-shorts and we've never had a problem. she even talks them into unloading it from her car most of the time...

#5 ·
Take it toyour local dealer. They MUST take waste oil by LAW.

#7 ·
I agree with S3aturnR $56 typical, and buy a jack and some stands for tire rotation in the driveway/garage. Also, Nitro turned me onto Castrol 0W-30 European blend only (meets latest VW spec). It doesn't break down under heat or load. The Mobil1 did, I didn't like it at all. Lots of valves tapping by the time I got to Myrtle beach this last spring.

#10 ·
Castrol 0w-30 is also known as German Castrol, or European forumula. It's 100% full s ynthetic with Group 4 and 5 base stocks. Mobil 1 uses Group 3 base stocks and that is NOT true synthetic, it's a REALLY refined mineral oil. Mobil used to be good, but now they slacked. I have used oil tests that show castrol beats mobil in my applications.

#12 ·
I'm a little sad the local jiffy lubes stopped working on our vehicles. We no longer make money on replacing stripped oil pans anymore! Last year we had some 200 claims in a months time from jiffy lube customers. The rep came down to our dealer and told us that Jiffy lube here will no longer work on vw's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.