Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
63K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 ·
My first question is how do I know if I have a DSG or triptronic transmission, 2007 Jetta 2.5? Next, what is the procedure for a DIY transmission fluid and filter change? My dealer wants $560 for the service, is this about right every 40K? Can't afford that!

#4 ·
DSG=Direct Shift Gearbox; i.e. its a "automanual" transmission with two clutches that shift faster than you can blink and is controlled by the car. The Triptronic is your run of the mill automatic transmission (fluid controlled) with a fun button (selectable shifting).

The DSG comes with the GTI or GLI as an option.

#5 ·
I feel a whole lot better knowing this. So if I have a regular tranny, and wanted to change the fluid myself. I could drop the pan, replace the filter, and add the new fluid through the fill plug..... right? ECS Tuning offers a kit with the OEM fluid and all the gaskets and filter for $139.... What do you think about that, considering the dealer service manager doesn't even know what transmission I have. Man, that makes me mad Damn it!

#7 ·
Special tools and a computer are needed for filling any of vw's automatic transmissions after 1995. Give your dealer your VIN so they can select the proper fluid for your transmission. The fluid varies depending on years and trans types.

Better yet just shop around and see what German shops or dealers in your area charge for this service. I would estimate about 1-1.5 hrs labor. Probably less than 300 bux total.

Reactions: monte
#9 ·
To be technical, All autos (newer than 1995) from volkswagen are NON SERVICEABLE. The DSG requires a filter and oil change every 40,000 miles. the 2009 and NEWER 09G 6spd automatics require an oil change every 50,000 miles. The newer 6spd autos (non dsg) use a DIFFERENT fluid and the older style fluid and newer style fluid MUST NOT be mixed. They are the same color but different properties and different viscosity. Your VIN and dealer will be able to verify which fluid you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.