Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

catalytic converter warning after 5500 miles on my 2011 sportwagen s

26K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dddserfnio 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Glad to find this forum with like minded enthusiasts.
I own a 2011 jetta sportwagen S, has about 5500 miles. So far the cars been great. I just brought the vehicle in for the courtesy service and all seemed fine.

The other day, the gas cap warning light appeared, which was random, since I drove it for about 50 miles after fueling up, And the warning came on the next day.
After removing it and tightening it back on, the cap warning disappeared. I then drove less than 1 mile and when shifting to park the catalytic converter warning light appeared.

Called the dealer, I mispoke and told him it was the check engine light, they asked if I recently just gassed up and if it's not flashing, drive it for a day or two and call us if it's still on, but the manual states to take it straight to a dealer though. I need to drive about 50 highway miles with a 6 month baby before I can take it in, wondering if it's safe or not.

Will driving it really just resolve the problem? Is there a check engine indicator, didn't see one in the manual?

Thanks everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks nitroscope. The icon i'm seeing is the one you linked to but the manual calls it catalytic converter, not check engine. I didn't see check engine listed anywhere in the manual. Does vw consider them one and the same these days. Its a gasser not a diesel. The regen, is that for gassers too?

#4 ·
Nope, regen is for clean diesels.

The mil/check engine light/cat light is just showing that a malfunction was stored and depending what the issue is the catalyst MAY be damaged. A flashing cel will destroy a cat. However, the ECM will eventually disable the fuel injector for the affected cylinder to save the cat.

The user manual, in my opinion, words it so people don't ignore the light and get it checked out. If VW didn't make any deal over it people would simply leave it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.