TPMS reset [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: TPMS reset

jjgori
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I just had a flat a couple of days ago so I called the VW roadside assistance. They were there in less than 20 minutes and swapped out my tire. However the TPMS light is still on. How do I reset it?

Eternal)arkness
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
You have low pressure in one of your other tires...or maybe in the one they replaced.

Check the tire pressure and make sure they're up to spec. The TPMS only resets itself after all FIVE tires are accounted for and have the right amount of tire pressure in them.

That includes checking your spare tire.

jjgori
08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
You have low pressure in one of your other tires...or maybe in the one they replaced.

Check the tire pressure and make sure they're up to spec. The TPMS only resets itself after all FIVE tires are accounted for and have the right amount of tire pressure in them.

That includes checking your spare tire.
Seriously? even the spare? I have not yet got the spare fixed. So if that's the case then that's why it's still on. How does it know that the spare is still flat? IT's just laying in the rear storage bin.

nitroscope8
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Actualy your spare does NOT have a tire pressure sensor. The system is a "dumb" system in that it doesn't know where the tires are, it just sees 4 signals. Your tire in the trunk is flat giving a flat tire signal. Once you fix that tire, the light will go out.

jjgori
08-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Actualy your spare does NOT have a tire pressure sensor. The system is a "dumb" system in that it doesn't know where the tires are, it just sees 4 signals. Your tire in the trunk is flat giving a flat tire signal. Once you fix that tire, the light will go out.
Thanks Nitro.... makes sense. So I am assuming that each tire's sensor has some sort of wireless transmitter that sends the signal to the main system. If that's the case then the transmitters must need some sort of a power source in the form of a battery...... so what would happen if the battery eventually (years later) dies? I work for D-Link (networking company that makes wireless networking devices), hense the curiosity.......

DocOctavius
08-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Phantom power? Just a guess. :D:

Eternal)arkness
08-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Oh wait, did you have VW Road Assistance change the tire for you with your own spare tire? Or did they give you a new tire entirely? (doubt that..)

If it's the first option, you would have to get that tire fixed ASAP. Otherwise, if you get another flat down the road (no pun intended), you'll be stuck with 2 flat tires and no spare. Happened to my brother a couple of times and he had to tow it to our local tire place for replacement.

jaredm1
08-14-2008, 09:00 AM

I think some of them must have it. When I got my flat, the TPMS light came on, I switched to the spare and it cleared after a few minutes. I'll have to go out and check (it will have the metal valve stem right?). But yeah, it has to only take 4 of the 5 signals because I still had the flat in the back when it cleared.

Also, I agree with everyone else...get your tire replaced asap.

jjgori
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I think some of them must have it. When I got my flat, the TPMS light came on, I switched to the spare and it cleared after a few minutes. I'll have to go out and check (it will have the metal valve stem right?). But yeah, it has to only take 4 of the 5 signals because I still had the flat in the back when it cleared.

Also, I agree with everyone else...get your tire replaced asap.
Good point.... I will run it over to my local Tires Plus asap. Thanks for the sound advice folks!

nitroscope8
08-14-2008, 04:54 PM
After 6 years, you replace your TPMS sensors.

seanmcd
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
my spare looks like it has the tps - the stem looks like the other four tires do.

nitroscope8
08-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Those who have sensors on their spare, do you have steelies from the factory?

seanmcd
08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
yes my original wheels were the 15" steel wheels. (they're down in the basement if anyone wants them!! :) )

jaredm1
08-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Those who have sensors on their spare, do you have steelies from the factory?

Yep, me too

nnocd
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
I think that the spare has the tpms. I know my spare had it when I had a flat.
My light went out after 1 minute of the car was running. IDK maybe some of the spares have them and some don't. Just like the highline modules. some do, some don't.

jjgori
08-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I checked my spare and it does not have it. However I did get my car with the 16" alloys and not the original 15s, so perhaps when you upgrade your wheels, the spare that you get does not have the TPMS. Finally got the original tire fixed and replaced and the light went out. Thanks for everyone's input.

jjgori
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
After 6 years, you replace your TPMS sensors.
Got it - makes sense now!

Eternal)arkness
09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Seriously? even the spare? I have not yet got the spare fixed. So if that's the case then that's why it's still on. How does it know that the spare is still flat? IT's just laying in the rear storage bin.

Did you ge this fixed yet? Was it the spare?

If it was, what's the conclusion on the spare tire having a TPMS sensor? I know mine has it - the local tire shop made it clear for me on that. Mine are the factory 15" Steelies and the light only went away (when I had a my first flat) only after all 5 tires had air in them.

I guess the factory wheels you receive from the dealer determines whether or not your spare tire has a sensor in it or not. I was just curious about this subject.

jjgori
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Did you ge this fixed yet? Was it the spare?

If it was, what's the conclusion on the spare tire having a TPMS sensor? I know mine has it - the local tire shop made it clear for me on that. Mine are the factory 15" Steelies and the light only went away (when I had a my first flat) only after all 5 tires had air in them.

I guess the factory wheels you receive from the dealer determines whether or not your spare tire has a sensor in it or not. I was just curious about this subject.
My wheels were the 16" alloys which were an upgrade and the included spare did NOT have the TPMS sensor. However it seems that anyone with the original 15" wheels DOES have the TPMS on the spare.

Eternal)arkness
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
My wheels were the 16" alloys which were an upgrade and the included spare did NOT have the TPMS sensor. However it seems that anyone with the original 15" wheels DOES have the TPMS on the spare.

Thanks for the information man. My thinking was correct then :)

nitroscope8
09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
And the reason is so you don't forget you have an "odd" wheel on the car. Alloy plus steelie= wtf. But steelie with steelie = normal.

Bunny'09
07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Dind't want to start a new thread (and this one helped a lot) because my TPMS light didn't go out after changing to my spare. Anyways, should I go to VW and have them torque wrench the one I changed and plug the flat one (piece of glass in it) or will any tire shop suffice?

nitroscope8
07-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Just go to vw. they know all the odds and ends of your tpms system and how to get it working correctly should there be an issue.

phister
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
i switched out my tires and i don't have the tpms sensors in them. the light doesn't bother me, but is it bad to not have it?

mlowmk5
07-17-2009, 12:24 AM
i switched out my tires and i don't have the tpms sensors in them. the light doesn't bother me, but is it bad to not have it?

Other than the tire pressure light on your dash there shouldn't be any other problems.

nitroscope8
07-17-2009, 06:22 AM
You can even use vag to remove the tpms light. The dealer scantools will throw a fit and put the light back on the dash and do crazy things tho ....... just a warning.

Bunny'09
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
cool, thanks for the quick answer.

the tpms light went off after a few minutes... now just gotta get the tire torqued to spec