How to remove condensation build up in headlight housings? [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: How to remove condensation build up in headlight housings?

Paul02MKIV
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok guys, I need help figuring out how to get rid of condensation from inside my headlight housings. Anyone know of the best way to do this???

GeorgiaRabbit
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Open them up, dry them out, re-seal them :)

Paul02MKIV
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
ok, How do I open it up and what do I use to seal it back together?

djwhiplash2001
05-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Search for a thread (probably on vwvortex) about painting your headlights - there is a method of doing it in the oven (at very low temperatures), but I don't recall the exact method and I wouldn't want to mess up trying to remember it :p.

I think silicone is used to seal them back up. Of course, you could pick up a set of new aftermarket lights on ebay for a couple hundred bucks :).

Rabbid0281
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
mine fogged up a couple months ago when it got real cold, but now i have the exterior lens is fading. like the clear layer is scratched off? and it looks like the inside of my lens needs cleaning, but its really the outside. they are aftermarket halos, but i dont wanna have to throw down for a new set just cuz of that :(
im thinking i can use taht abrasive cleaner, then get the clear Rocguard(sp?) to help against that.

djwhiplash2001
05-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Some loving and wet sanding should take care of hazy headlights. What brand were they, out of curiosity?

GeorgiaRabbit
05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
The oven method works, but is a bit risky for my taste, on previous cars, when I've opened the headlights I've used a good hairdryer and a plastic scraper(not a window scraper, but a plastic putty knife type), using the hair dryer you just heat up the seam where the headlight is sealed together and it will soften the RTV enough for you to pry them apart with the scraper(use plastic so as not to damage the housing). BTW be sure there are no screws you need to remove before you start prying away.... Go get yourself some clear RTV(I like to use marine grade) to seal them back up, do not use an epoxy. I repeat DO NOT use an epoxy, as to the fact that you will never be opening those headlights again if you do.

nitroscope8
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
If your headlights fog up, that's NORMAL. If they have water inside dripping down, that is ABNORMAL and you should take it in for a replacement. All it takes is one drop of water to hit hte bulb while hot and blow it apart.

Pop your bulbs out and get a hairdryer in there to dry the inside out. Once dry, put the bulbs back in and close it up.

djwhiplash2001
05-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Pop your bulbs out

D'oh. Why didn't I think of that... much simpler than pulling off the lens :p

:Ciao:

Rabbid0281
05-02-2008, 10:20 PM
They are the Hella brand halo lights. Looks like they have OEM lenses, as you can see the mold line, and where it would run if the stock blinkers were there.

Paul02MKIV
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Good Idea! The hair dryer sounds much easier than prying the lenses a part. I dont have any moisture in the lense now, its just when there is a lot of moisture in the air (humid) or really raining outside. Fortunately, there isn't any sitting water inside to damage my HID's.

nitroscope8
05-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Another reason HID's don't do well in reflector housings. There is very little heat and the water does not burn off. Halogens make lots of heat and keep water at bay.

PPL who turn off DRL's also get water buildup because of lack of heat.

For HID's, you need projector lens.

Paul02MKIV
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I will probably get projector housings someday when more money comes around, but for now, the stock housing will have to do. I still get great light with my reflector housings. Best lights baught from ebay.