heated outside mirror [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: heated outside mirror

dragonwen
12-13-2007, 08:20 PM
is there a indicator light that comes on when you turn on the switch for the heated mirror. mine doesn't have any indicator or melting ice or snow. can someone let me what suppose to happen, I look into the manual, it didn't give much help.

Rumynchik
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Um....turn the mirror joystick to the 12 o'clock position, turn on the defrost (button above A/C). Enjoy.....
I didn't really understand what exactly you want to know though.

snottyrabbit
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
I get what you are saying....I noticed that long ago, but down here I don't really need/use the feature. Tonight when I was leaving work I thought about it though.

ENRGZR
12-14-2007, 12:47 AM
You have to turn the rear defrost on for the mirrors to work. Which is actually a good feature, because my wife MK4 doesn't have that and she burned her mirrors.

dragonwen
12-14-2007, 10:41 AM
that's exactly what I did, had the nob a 12 o'clock & rear window defrost on, the rear winshield was melting snow but the side mirrors are not, time to go to the shop again, just got the seat belt problem fixed 2 weeks ago. thank you for all the replies.

Guru42
12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, you can at least check to see if the wires got detached from the back of the mirror some how. You can remove the mirror by turning the mirror all the way downward (pointing towards the ground) and then just pry (GENTLY) the mirror out of the enclosure. There should be two wires that attach to a heating strip on the rear side of your mirror that prevent you from completely removing it from the enclosure.

Once that's done, if you have a multi-meter, you can turn on the mirror heater switch and check the voltage to see if it jumps when from the "off" state to the "on" state.

If you get a change in voltage, chances are that its working (I don't know what hte actual voltage change should be). If there is no change, then you have a problem with the switch of somewhere in the wiring up to the mirror.

dragonwen
12-14-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks for the tip guru, but I think I let the pros do it plus the car is still under warranty. I am not good when it comes to working on cars.

kitty
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
the EASIEST way to check... is to turn it on, let it sit a few minutes, and feel the mirror. you should feel a slight warmth if it's on.

DaVisionz
12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
the EASIEST way to check... is to turn it on, let it sit a few minutes, and feel the mirror. you should feel a slight warmth if it's on.

sooo close to 1000 posts, i bet you can taste it by now :eek:

miracle03
12-14-2007, 08:59 PM
lol... funny thing.. i knew there was a heated side mirrors.. but i never knew how to turn it on.. because its hidden behind the joystick... and occasionally i wondered how come that joystick and turn more then the left and right switch

dragonwen
12-15-2007, 07:57 AM
will give that a try tomorrow when we get another snow storm. Two storm in three days here in MA., sucks. The anti slip works pretty will on the rabbit, got me up the driveway at home, and my wife's Infinity got stuck half way, and it's got anti slip also. The driveway is about 35 deg. slop.

InnocentBP
03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
is there a indicator light that comes on when you turn on the switch for the heated mirror. mine doesn't have any indicator or melting ice or snow. can someone let me what suppose to happen, I look into the manual, it didn't give much help.

I plan on posting a diy for an indicator light to remind you that the defroster is on. My wife leaves hers on all the time in her 04 Jetta. My 08 owners manual says that if you don't need it turn it off because it will waste gas. There is no warning about melting your mirror though. My dad has 2 Subaru Outbacks and both have an indication of the mirror defroster being on. My only dilemma is where to place the led indication light. I have thought about on the mirror itself or just on the door on the black plastic where the A arm meets the door on the inside of the car. Any thoughts anyone? I figure an led connected to the positive and negative on the back of the mirror for the outside light, or on the switch for the inside light.

Dannyj

InnocentBP
03-07-2008, 09:48 PM

I plan on posting a diy for an indicator light to remind you that the defroster is on. My wife leaves hers on all the time in her 04 Jetta. My 08 owners manual says that if you don't need it turn it off because it will waste gas. There is no warning about melting your mirror though. My dad has 2 Subaru Outbacks and both have an indication of the mirror defroster being on. My only dilemma is where to place the led indication light. I have thought about on the mirror itself or just on the door on the black plastic where the A arm meets the door on the inside of the car. Any thoughts anyone? I figure an led connected to the positive and negative on the back of the mirror for the outside light, or on the switch for the inside light. Oh yeah my manual also says that for the first few mins the heater is on full blast and after that they adjust to the ambient outside temp to keep the mirrors clear. there is no time limit like the rear defogger, and the mirror defogger works independently of the rear defogger in the 08's not sure about other years but i know ive read someone said you had to have the rear one on to make the mirror one work.

Dannyj

Marx
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
How would it waste gas..?

InnocentBP
03-08-2008, 06:41 PM
How would it waste gas..?

It will waste gas by using more electricity and causing the alternator to work more therefor robbing the engine of horsepower and using more gas. I guess?? But the 08 owners manual says it will waste gas.