Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

Unexpected Metallic Sound in Ist Gear Bluemotion 1.6 TDI Estate

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EWEEVW 
#1 ·
I run a 2011 1.6 TDI BM Estate (Manual Drive)which is driven daily and has clocked up 12,800 miles from new since 31 May 2011 on a long servicing schedule (1st service due at 18,000).

Over the Christmas break it was not driven for 4 days and after a short 2 mile urban run I set off in 1st gear and noticed a loud metallic noise similar to something loose dragging under the car. I verified that there was nothing of that nature happening.The noise started again when moving off in 1st gear. I lifted the bonnet/hood and revved the engine in neutral which sounded perfectly OK. The noise did not occur on the 3rd attempt and has not happened again.

Any ideas as to the cause and could it be connected to the period of non use?

The temperatures ranged between 4 and 13 celsius during the 4 days and the car was on level ground.

#2 ·
Keep an ear out for it. If it doesn't happen again then I wouldn't worry too much. If it does then have the dealer take a look at it. Be sure oil is full too.

Reactions: EWEEVW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.