Tiguan Radio RCD 510 - intermittent fault - sudden volume increase to 100% value. [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: Tiguan Radio RCD 510 - intermittent fault - sudden volume increase to 100% value.

Onozo
06-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Experiencing similar fault on both a 2009 and 2011 Tiguan.
Fault symptom : For no apparent reason, once in a while the volume suddenly increases to 100 % value and remains at this value, until reduced by manually turning down the volume control knob. (Vehicles in motion at time of fault)
This criteria has occurred in both the radio and CD playing modes.
My local franchised VW garage is currently investigating problem along with VW Technical, but so far without resolving issue.
Has any member heard or experienced this RCD 510 problem on Tiguan's or any other VW models?

nitroscope8
06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Replace the radio and let vw investigate all it wants with the bad radio. I never seen or heard of this.

NZTIGUAN
06-08-2011, 04:49 PM
If you're the only person in the World with this fault AND you've had it in two different Tigs I'd be asking where your hands sit on the wheel when you drive ??? not anywhere near the stereo controls per chance ???

Onozo
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Hello Nitroscope8,
Thanks for your attention. Work so far carried out by franchised VW garage on the 2009 Tiguan, is as follows:
Firstly general diagnostics, then software upgrade followed by complete Radio RC510 replacement, and touch phone system replaced - fault still continued.
Presently as from to-day, driving around with steering wheel electric controls (volume control buttons etc) disconnected - horn control still connected and functional.
VW themselves have stated they have not come across this problem before.
The 2009 Tiguan is an R-Line and the 2011 model is an SL model. Strange to say why it has happened on two vehicles I have driven.
Remark: there is no way with my driving style, that I have ever inadvertently touched the steering wheel volume control buttons, in fact I have never used these buttons.
Hoping that other members will show an interest with my problem.
Thanks, Onozo.

nitroscope8
06-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Is there any accessories you are installing when you have purchsed these vehicles? List anything you've put in. This includes dash mounted gps, emergency lights (fire dept) radar detector, jammer, etc.....

NZTIGUAN
06-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Is there any accessories you are installing when you have purchsed these vehicles? List anything you've put in. This includes dash mounted gps, emergency lights (fire dept) radar detector, jammer, etc.....

There's got to be "something" that's doing this, it would be a massive coincidence for him to have the only TWO Tiguans (and lets not forget all the other models with RCD510s !!) in the World that this happens to ?? PLUS he's had a full replacement and it STILL happens !! Something is rotten in the State of Denmark I think !! (old saying, sorry if it doesn't "click" with some people !!)

Cheers

Onozo
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Hello again Nitroscope8,

The only extra kit installed in the R-Line Tiguan, from day-one, was a Bluetooth touch phone kit. The original kit and the replacement were installed by VW franchised garage.
From my earlier message, please note that the touch phone kit was replaced, before replacement of RCD510 unit.
This has been the second day driving around with steering wheel electric control buttons disconnected - no repeatation of volume fault has occurred sofar.
I have agreed with my local VW garage, to drive around for a few weeks to enable a reassement of fault situation, hopefully the fault will not reoccurr.
During the prolonged period my local garage has been involved in this investigation, I have been impressed by their willingness and derermination to get to the root of the fault.
Regards, Onozo.

nitroscope8
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Just be aware that on some models the horn will run through the steering wheel module and by disconnecting it may leave you without one.

Onozo
07-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Successful conclusion to problem on 2009 Tiguan R-Line.

As reported in previous notices, and by the process of eliminating certain components from the issue, the problem has apparently been located.
On July 5th the following component was renewed: Control Unit, Part No: 1K0959542B, Cost UK Retail GB£ 80.96.
This small component is situated within the steering wheel hub.
For the past 21 days with frequent use of the audio system (Radio and CD Player), the problem seems to have been resolved.
I take this opportunity to thank all members who participated in this matter.
Thanks, Onozo