Replacing interior and license plate Light bulbs with LEDs [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: Replacing interior and license plate Light bulbs with LEDs

Gabster
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey guys I've been looking into replacing my interior and license plate bulbs with LEDs on the Tig.

Questions: I know the procedure is pretty straight forward, yet; I'm just a little scared in breaking a light housing when taking it off, is there something to keep in mind or way to take them down without breaking? I did looked at my manual and only mentions how to replace outside bulbs, not interior.

Also i did replace the license plate bulbs with LEDs with proper resistance to supposedly Fool the ECU and not get the "lamp out" light in the dash yet, i still got it, Is there a way to do this without getting an error message?
I've seen a wiring diagram that has been done for BMWs but don't know if it would be the same procedure on VWs...
Thanks for the help in advance.
:Ciao:

shawng
01-08-2011, 03:27 PM
If still get a bulb out, the LEDs you bought are not doing their job. yo might want to try a different brand. For opening the laps, all I can offer is to be careful.

Gabster
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
ok so i have tried 3 different "can-bus" LED license plate bulbs and they all through "Lamp out" light in the dash, i have replaced the interior lights with led except the two front map lights, i'm just too scared of breaking the housing, can't figure out what part of it comes loose and what doesn't... :(
nobody has ever replaced these before?
also for those of you with SEL or SE with sports or convince packages, do you have foot-well Lamps? if yes would you happen to know what are the part numbers?
thanks!

free
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
ok so i have tried 3 different "can-bus" LED license plate bulbs and they all through "Lamp out" light in the dash, i have replaced the interior lights with led except the two front map lights, i'm just too scared of breaking the housing, can't figure out what part of it comes loose and what doesn't... :(
nobody has ever replaced these before?
also for those of you with SEL or SE with sports or convince packages, do you have foot-well Lamps? if yes would you happen to know what are the part numbers?
thanks!

On the SE the red door foot panels are reflectors not lights. Hopefully someone with an SEL can tell you if that is the case for them or not.

BarryT82
02-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I have an SEL with the lights shining down on the floor. Do you just want the part number for the housings? I pulled the ones in my tiguan out last night to see what style bulbs I need to get to swap them out for led. I've had the maps out out before too. Mine has the sunroof so it may be different.
I buy my LEDs from here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/c/car-led-light-bulbs-712