Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

penpal
12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, I'm planning on trying this oil out. The different in price between this and German Castrol is not that much, the GC goes for $9.99/L and the Rotella goes for ~$7.60/L, Canadian prices sucks

I know its not 502 spec but apparently it is a very good oil, with good sheer stability and high zinc contents to protect against metal on metal wear. According to the analysis on BITOG its as good if not better then GC and M1 euro blend. I know lots of people running this oil in their bikes and high powered cars but does anyone have any long term experience with using this oil in the MKV?

ClassicRbt
12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
There's a bunch of cheap alternatives if your not going 502 spec. I'm sticking with 502 spec just to avoid any "possible" complications, and would take the german engineers word for it. (502) spec criteria.

le0n
12-16-2010, 03:34 AM
^^ this...

as long as you are ok with potentially voiding your warranty, go right ahead. i would advise against it.

what if it works great with the metals, but somehow acts differently with the rubber components? what if the synthetics don't mix?

depending on your driving style, you may be better off using 502.00+ and driving more miles between oil changes to offset the costs; say 7-10k miles between changes instead of 5k miles...

nitroscope8
12-16-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm a big fan of rotella also. Most people hear and think diesel. The zinc has been phased out i believe with the SM class oils but the SL oils I think still have it. GC is SL. It's not 502 spec because I don't believe it's synthetic oil even though all the additives are there. Do a little more research before you buy and be sure the additives are comparable to 502 oil.

I LOVE the BITOG forums, there is just so much information there.

penpal
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Ya BITOG is awesome, the T6 (Blue bottle is actually 100% synthetic), the T5 (white bottle) is a syn mix. Just because an oil is 502 doesn't mean its good, cam follower still gets destroyed using 502 oils. Rotella T6 really interest me because its made from group iv stock just like GC and has a great additives package for turbo cars. I guess I just have to try it out and see what happens :s

nitroscope8
12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Yep .The FSI would probably benefit A LOT from all that extra zinc.

DonJuan1Jr
12-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Penpal have you noticed excessive oil consumption?

punkpie
12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I saw "Rotella" and thought of pasta. LOL Moose, what does BITOG mean?

DonJuan1Jr
12-17-2010, 09:15 AM
BITOG...Bob Is The Oil Guy

wed_wabbit
12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
How does this stuff compare to Mobile 1? I have been using Mobile 1 for the past 4 oil changes and have been very happy. I have other reasons for the love of this oil as well, where our UAV engines use this oil. During flight the oil line broke and the rotary engine ran for 5+ hours with no oil flowing. The engines are known to run hot, and we saw no increase in temps and no damage to the engine after flight....That is why I use mobile 1, but I would be willing to check out some new oil if it is better.

nitroscope8
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I had used oil analysis done on my jeep and I used only mobil 1. Turns out it had a higher iron shedding rate than other oils for that particular engine. Other UOA showed that mobil 1 has increased metals in the oil thus increased engine wear. It's very slight, however.

penpal
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I just put some in yesterday, gonna see how it goes.