Stange idle problem [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: Stange idle problem

marilyn425
10-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a 2007 Rabbit. It idles high on 1st start of the day when it is started during summer. It idles at about 2000 and takes upto 60 seconds to come down to normal idle. When it is cold outside (winter) and it is the first start of the day it idles normal. I've had the dealer check it and it all checks out ok...no faults on computer. They say they have to witness the problem.
Any ideas??

isaacubed
10-19-2009, 11:30 PM
As far as I know, all 2.5 liter engines in Rabbits idle high for about 30 seconds, regardless of the temperature outside. Every time I start my engine I sit and wait for the idle to go down before taking my car out of park....if you don't do this it will make a uncomfortable clunking noise as if it's angry that you didn't wait :)

I'm surprised the dealership didn't tell you about the 2.5 liter high idle right off the bat when you got to the service center...

le0n
10-20-2009, 12:11 AM
the high idle at start up is to help quickly fire the catalytic converter to its optimal operating temperature...

why yours seems to vary from could be from multiple reasons.

for instance, on a cold or hot morning if i start my vehicle and select reverse while the clutch is still depressed, let off the brake and just roll back down the driveway without releasing my clutch; my idle will drop within 2 seconds. if i let it sit there it will go 60-90 seconds before dropping to normal idle.

v-dub89
10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
It's normal. It doesn't do it when it's cold so the catalytic converter doesn't crack, or so I've read.

BIGGREEK
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
no its nothing to worry about. Moose the great has learned me this (yes i know). When its cold outside, the secondary air pump doesn't pump which makes the idle higher on start up (that enormus of a sucking and devouring noise from intake) because just in case there is water in the system and if its frozen, it wont muck it up. Please correct me if I am wrong...its been a while:p

eesh
10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I noticed this exact same occurrence on my 2009 rabbit. During the summer, it starts at about 1800 RPM, but recently it's been starting at 1000 RPM. I'm sure it's normal. The car is driving perfectly fine.

BIGGREEK
10-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeap its perfectly normal