are license plate covers illegal in ontario? [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: are license plate covers illegal in ontario?

cleel927
04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I can't find any proof that they are illegal, but people are telling me to remove my clear license plate covers? :S

0non
04-04-2009, 06:17 PM
if they are selling it at local shops, then it should be legal.. no point buying something thats illegal

cleel927
04-04-2009, 06:31 PM
if they are selling it at local shops, then it should be legal.. no point buying something thats illegal

Agreed, but any solid proof? Doesn't it only apply to tinted covers because it affects 407, red light cams, etc?

0non
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
i have no idea what is 407 nor redlight cams, but mythbuster proved that nothing can distort a camera unless it's totally reflective. remember, the camera works the same way as your eyes does, if you can see it, the camera can see it.

Crazy Harry
04-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Here's what the law says (Ontario Highway Traffic Act) about plates:

----------------

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

Same

(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).

Same

(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).

Offence

(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).

----------------

Here's a link to an article where an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) officer says that covers are illegal:

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_2017.aspx

I have a dealer installed clear cover on the front of my Volvo, but the back plate only has a frame.

It seems it's up to the cop's interpretation?

Harold.

0non
04-05-2009, 10:28 AM
quote: "At roughly $10 a pop, they may seem like a fun and inexpensive accessory, but just remember, the only ones that are legal are those that are clear, or merely frame the licence plate"

once again, if you find it in like canadian tire/ walmart, chances are, the ones they sell are legal. and plus, we have a license plate light right above our license, so, no worries. i've been pulled over for more then once with the license plate during day and night, they never said anything about it. then again, im from quebec.

btw, that reporter is sexy...

robbie
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Ever notice how a lot of people had blue tinted covers? I don't have any proof, but it seems to me that you do that (since Ontario plates are blue on white) to reduce the contrast so it's below the point where the photoradar systems can take a clear pic...

0non
04-05-2009, 11:54 AM
lol.. you need the cover to be completely blue to do that

Bad Karma CZJ
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
you can buy clear covers from the MTO office...

cleel927
04-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm going to take my chances and keep my covers on.. it's been almost a whole year now without any issue. I was pulled over once for disobeying a traffic sign (no right turn, sign was blocked by a bus and I had never taken that road until that morning) and the officer never said anything about the covers.

calmec87
05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I know it's an old thread, but I'll resurect it.

I have tinted plate covers. Front AND Rear, always have used them.

the 407 cams still grab my plate, and i've been pulled over for speeding, the officer ticketed me for not having my sticker on my plate (i hadnt put it on yet, it was in my glove box), and looked around my car tryin to find something else to ticket me with. Needless to say, Plate covers, tinted or otherwise, don't pose a problem unless they hide, or otherwise distort your plate from being read.

Now that is ALL opinion. However until someone in ontario tells me they've gotten a ticket for it, or points me in the direction of a regulation or law that states otherwise, then ill keep 'em on.