Locking Brakes!!!!!!! [Archive] - Volkswagen Owners Club Forum |VW Golf / Jetta /Passat /Beetle/EOS/Rabbit/GTI /CC/Bus/Touareg/Tiguan/TDI

: Locking Brakes!!!!!!!

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
One thing that pisses me off
is when you push on the brakes and your brakes lock up
and you don't stop.
You just keep sliding and sliding
I thought they were Anti Lock Brakes.
So today in lubbock it's really icy and snowy
and i'm barly going about maybe 10 mph and
i tap the brakes to start slowing down and it just locks up and
makes just a griding noise and it's horrible cause idk why my brakes do
that they have not always done that just sometimes when
i hit a hard bumb or something but it was
really bad today
anyone know why the do that?? advice to get them to stop??
thanks

a7xogg
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
that grinding noise is the anti-lock brakes kicking in. If you have the wrong tires like summer or all seasonal tires on ice, your most likely gonna slide.

aprizal
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
had that happen to me too. it sucks for sneaking out ...

here's what nitro told me:
"Brakes have about 4 pumps of reserve vacuum in the booster."

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
yea it just sucks cause i just want to stop
my old car when i pushed on the brakes it stopped
no sliding no questions asked
but here i love the rabbit and everything about it
just not so much the brakes cause i hate how it does it
when it's not neccesary you know???

aprizal
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
i feel you. that's what i like about older cars, not that many safety features like the new cars these days.

djwhiplash2001
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
If you ever hear crazy squealing and lose TOTAL control of your car, your brakes have locked up.

If you hear grinding, that's the ABS pumping your brakes. It feels rough. That's because your brakes WOULD have locked up, regardless of what you were driving.

Take your car into a parking lot at night, get up to about 35, and STOMP on the brake pedal. That's ABS. You can steer your car while you brake. Be thankful for it :p

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
really?? cause i guess it's just cause i am not used to it i don't like the feel of being out of control and not handling the situation. i just like to stop when i want to just simply stop. but yea i am thankful for it i guess lol thanks dj

djwhiplash2001
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Was your old car non-ABS?

It's a weird feeling, feels like your brakes are just gonna fall off. But, like I said EVERYONE should go to a parking lot/etc and get up to 35 to try it.

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
you know i'm not sure probably not it was a 1996 mitsubishi mirage s
so i'm guessing not
but yea like i said i was going like 10 and it did it i almost got into a wreck twice today because of it lol i guess in need to learn how to use it??

ShottyElectrician
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Had that same problem tonight... that was the first time I felt brakes push back.

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
yea that's what it feels like!!! they just don't go down and they are fighting you!! haha that's the word

shawng
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
ABS is real good at keeping your wheels from locking up so that you continue to have steering control. The premise is that if the tire has traction, rather than slide, you can continue to steer the car and not lose control. They do not necessarily help you stop in a shorter distance and when all is said a done, will not help you defy the laws of physics. In the end you are tossing some 3000 Lb. of steel down an icy street and without friction between the road and your tires, you are not going to stop.

jackrabbit08
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
haha yea your so right shawng nothing could stop that without friction

tibimakai
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
how about my ex Jaguar(1995 model) when the traction was kicking in the gas pedal was pushing back!:rolleyes:

shawng
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Well ASR does the same thing, but because we are drive by wire, there is no feedback to the pedal. the computer just backs off the throttle for you. I know WV says they are reducing torque in the propaganda, but really they are just backing off the throttle.

imtherich1
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
my brakes actually did lock up once...........so i park my ride one winter night and the next morning run to my car n start her up, turn on my heated seats and wait about ten minutes for the engine to warm and build some legitimate oil pressure(it was -10F), so i release my e-brake to pull off and notice a considerable amount of drag and sluggishness thinking my bunny doenst want to go out this morning then all of a sudden my abs goes on then out of nowhere a POP! sound like my tire blew came from the left rear side of my poor frozen vehicle but i trudged onward......the again POP! from the right rear and just like that all is well, no more drag and no more abs light. the end

jdagracing
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
yea it just sucks cause i just want to stop
my old car when i pushed on the brakes it stopped
no sliding no questions asked
but here i love the rabbit and everything about it
just not so much the brakes cause i hate how it does it
when it's not neccesary you know???

As stated the grinding noise is the ABS working. Something I tell people and practice myself is when you first go out on potentially slick roads, find a straight safe spot to test your brakes and the road conditions. If the car stops well then the roads aren't too bad, if you keep going and have the grinding sound... well... it's slicker than a pig in sh*t out. You have to remember that conditions change all the time and adjust your driving accordingly.

Also I wouldn't compare what your old car did to your rabbit, reason being a.) different road conditions, ambient temperatures and other variables b.) different vehicle (tires, brake pads, etc.)

A suggestion would be to try dropping your air pressure slightly, to around 26-28psi. Won't compromise the tire for highway safety but will "flatten" out the tire giving a little more contact patch.

Drive safe!

BIGGREEK
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
One lesson I learned on the ICE, DONT stomp on your brakes for ANYTHING. When the road turns to ice all of a sudden, when you start sliding, NOTHING. Only hit your brakes when you are turning onto another road or you have to, but hit them enough not to activate ABS, ABS wont help you. Back off the pedal or downshift waaaaay before the turn.

shawng
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I would not recommend lowering tire pressure. That might be fine for rock crawling in a jeep, but not for a car. 26 - 28 psi is 4-6 psi below factory reccomendations and can lead to uneven tire wear, poor gas mileage, and possible instability.

Learn how to drive the car on slippery surfaces, slow down and use common sense in adverse conditions. And a good set of winter (not all season) tires wouldn't hurt either.

a7xogg
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
If you can find an empty parking lot and practice driving on ice. It helps a lot.

mmmoose
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't like the grinding noise either. This is also my first ABS equipped car and I guess I'm still getting used to it. While it's nice to have a little bit of steering control, the stopping distance seems to have increased significantly over my previous car (ZX3 Focus) in snow/icy conditions. But I think the added weight of the Rabbit is going to do that regardless. I do like that the rear brakes are calipers instead of drums though. I'm tired of other companies getting cheap on you and throwing drums in the back. At least when it comes to dry roads the Rabbit has excellent stopping power, hands down.

BIGGREEK
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Ive got a 1990 Chevy Blazer which was the first year chevy used 4 wheel abs on the blazers. OMG it sounds like the frieken truck is falling apart, but hey it works.. But the pedal feedback isnt the same as the rabbit, the rabbit pedal pushes ur foot back like its telling you to take your foot off the brake.lol

Ikeepsitreal
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
If you ever hear crazy squealing and lose TOTAL control of your car, your brakes have locked up.

If you hear grinding, that's the ABS pumping your brakes. It feels rough. That's because your brakes WOULD have locked up, regardless of what you were driving.

Take your car into a parking lot at night, get up to about 35, and STOMP on the brake pedal. That's ABS. You can steer your car while you brake. Be thankful for it :p

lol
I hate ABS
I had a non-ABS car too
I wanted to disable them and ASR but nitro said it was a terrible idea and my dashboard will be lit up with CELs lol.
I'm trying to get used to them, I wish they were less intrusive.

Locking up the wheels is 'bad' but you sure do stop quicker on dry and snow. [Not rain or ice though]